Thursday, July 09, 2009

Penzance Pirates and Vampire Plants..!

> Two new posters for the Dundee Schools Music Theatre (DSMT)...
>
Always a good job to get involved in and particularly so this year as
we hope to have a pop-out insert in the Little Shop programme... but
more of that in a month or two.
So, these are going to be out on the streets of Dundee in a few
weeks... i've included 'little Audrey II' as I particularly like how
she turned out... under pressure to get the posters done that was the
last bit of illustration I did and without any sketching, just done
straight in the machine... exactly what they tell you not to do...
wrong side of the brain and all that... however...
Just to prove that I do use the creative part of my brain when doing
this sort of stuff i've added my 'monster Audrey II' sketch which i've
yet to 'flesh out' in Illustrator... i've only got as far as a
silhouette so i'm a bit intimidated by that at the moment but that
will form the centre spread illustration in the programme.
As always, because DSMT do two shows only a few weeks apart it's good
to contrast the styles of artwork in the advertising and so from the
start I knew what I wanted to do with 'Pirates...' but again, was a
bit intimidated by my ideas because as always i'm up against the clock.
So, I cheated a bit in that I got the ship from 'iStock', but I
tinkered with it and reshaped bits and added it to my pirate with a
few free squiggles which I found and adapted...
Looking forward to doing the programme and playing around with
different background colours ad keeping the illustrations
predominantly black... we'll see.
Incidentaly, I cheated a bit with the Little Shop logo type... I used
Comic life which comes free with the Mac. It allows you to do stuff
with text that would take an age in illustrator... maybe there is a
plug-in that would do the same job in AI and that would make the fills
and gradients easier to do once I imported them (can't do those in
Comic Life) but it was a time saver all the same :)

No comments: